Here are some strategies to help with parenting a strong willed child. To some extent, these suggestions can also be applied to strong willed or stubborn people.
- appeal to them with logic–their brand of logic, get their buy-in
- avoid power struggles because authority will only be met with resistance, so instead of telling them what to do, present the situation to them and ask them what they want to do
- offer them choices and empower them to make the decisions, as a result they will take ownership and responsibility for the outcome
- focus on building them up and challenging them instead of trying to rule them or beat them into submission
- recognize and celebrate their individuality